Welcome to the Alexandria Project, the Translation Knowledge Hub.
Created by translators for translators and open to both translation buyers and providers, this virtual library offers an array of resources for translator CPD (continuous professional development), and services, such as:
- live webinars for translators and language services buyers
- online courses, online workshops and online training for translators, interpreters and language services providers
- on-demand training videos
- various types of resources such as glossaries, termbases, e-books…
Enter the Alexandria library, pick your resource, sit back and learn!
A tribute to the ancient Library of Alexandria
The project was named after the Great Library of Alexandria, the largest library in the ancient world. Built in the third century B.C. in the Egyptian city of Alexandria, this major and unique center of study and erudition was charged with collecting all of the knowledge in the world – it is estimated to have housed up to 700,000 papyrus and parchment scrolls. It became a research hub and home to scholars from all over the world in a variety of subject matter – science, astronomy, mathematics, but also history, philosophy and more. The collection housed in the library was legendary but the destruction of the library remains a complete mystery though most historians and archeologists agree that the final destruction occurred at some point during the late 4th century A.D. – in 2004, remains of what could have been thirteen lecture halls of the Great Library were found during excavation activities in the Bruchion region. The Library of Alexandria has been a symbol for knowledge for centuries.
You can read more about the Ancient Library of Alexandria here - well-documented and interesting!
Alexandria – The Translation Knowledge Hub
The symbolism is clear – while our goal is not to gather all of mankind’s knowledge, “our” Alexandria – yours, the Translation Alexandria – has the following objectives:
- Create a platform for resources and training, to help translation services providers in their day-to-day work, and help them stay up-to-date on the latest tools and trends – there is no longer a need to explain the importance and benefits of professional development throughout one’s career, particularly in our profession where we learn something new every day from each text we translate.
- Offer a platform for colleagues who wish to share specific knowledge, experiences or expertise so that they allow others to benefit from it, therefore helping themselves to establish their reputation within the profession.
- Develop a network of training partners - small LSPs and freelance translators with high standards and keen to share their knowledge and expertise
- Contribute to promoting the importance and value of our profession
- Educate translation buyers on the value of our work and high quality standards and raise awareness : yes, translation and interpretation are a real job and a real industry!
- Meet and train translators to grow our own network of service providers as a translation company (a somewhat “selfish” goal, yes ;))
Follow the guide!
Ready to enter the Library? Here we go…
- You want to become a presenter? This way…
- Are you looking for a place to sell your own content, such as glossaries, e-books, termbases, translation memories, etc.? Over here
- Any suggestions, ideas, comments or questions? Contact us!
- Do you offer training services and would you be interested in becoming an Alexandria Partner? Contact us.
Don’t miss out on anything!
Make sure you subscribe to Alexandria updates using the “Follow” button in the right sidebar – this way you’ll receive an email notification for each new resource, webinar or course added.
GxP Language Services
The Alexandria Project has been founded and is run by GxP Language Services, a specialized LSP providing translation, localization, internationalization and regulatory support services to companies in the following industries: pharmaceutical, biotech (regulatory affairs, compliance, GMP, GxP industries), medical devices and medical technology, healthcare IT (HIT) and health care in general.
More information about GxP Language Services:
GxP Language Services
Managing Director: Siegfried Armbruster
Tel.: (+49) (0)76419539021